The Food Establishment Inspection Report is a weekly report that appears Sundays. Information is taken from reports provided by the Bi-City-County Health District, and individual reports can be viewed at its Web site, at www.ci.amarillo.tx.us/departments/environhealth/foodinspections.html
The following report reflects only demerits the establishments received.
0 demerits — No major violations at the time of inspection.
15 demerits — Considered an average number.
30 demerits or above — Requires re-inspection within 24 hours.
COS — Corrected on site during inspection.
These establishments had 0 demerits during a follow-up inspection: Bonham Middle School, 5600 S.W. 49th Ave.; Brown’s Playhouse Day Care Center, 605 Fourth St., Canyon; Hope Springs Enterprises LLC, 2300 N. Western St.; Jam That’s Good, 3325 Bell St.; Pleasant Valley Baptist Church, 555 E. Hastings Ave.; Rolling Hills Elementary, 2800 W. Cherry Ave.; Sunshine Child Care, 2108 13th Ave., Canyon; Two Knives Catering, 5500 Bluebird St.; Western Bowl/Spare Time Sports, 5120 Canyon Drive; Willow Vista Intermediate, 7600 Pavillard Drive.
These establishments received demerits for being out of compliance as stated:
(20) All The Children’s Cafe, 901 S. Nelson St.: Moldy cheese and hamburger meat. COS. Mop sink needs backflow preventer; bulk items need to be labeled; proper date marking needed; roaches in kitchen around prep sink; busted cans found; ice machine needs to be cleaned regularly. To be corrected within two hours. Hamburger meat blood needs to be cleaned from fridge. To be corrected within 24 hours. Can opener needs to be cleaned or replaced; all doors need proper seals. To be corrected within three days. Prep sink and three-compartment sink need to have indirect connections; ANSUL system needs to be inspected. To be corrected within 180 days.
(3) Amarillo Zoo Concession, 2401 Dumas Drive: Ice scoop handle touching ice. COS. Entrance door needs to be self-closing; fire extinguisher and ANSUL system not inspected in more than two years (fire extinguisher should be inspected once a year and ANSUL system every six months). To be corrected within 180 days.
(6) Applebee’s Neighborhood Grill, 5630 W. Amarillo Blvd.: Purses on prep line. COS. Intake and exhaust air ducts need to be cleaned and filters changed; general cleaning needed in cold hold and kitchen area; utensils must be stored handle end up to prevent contamination; tea urn nozzle and bar soda nozzle very dirty; HACCP plan is needed to ensure all safety precautions are being used to prevent food born illness. To be corrected within 180 days.
(4) Caprock High School, 3001 S.E. 34th Ave.: Melons and lunchmeat in cold holdings at improper temperatures. COS. Ceiling tiles over prep sink must be smooth, non-absorbent and easily cleanable. To be corrected within 180 days.
(17) El Durango Bar, 5410 E. Amarillo Blvd.: Food permit not posted; no soap in restrooms and by hand sink. To be corrected within two hours. No food manager and no food handler. To be corrected within 45 days. Bare wood behind bar needs to be painted. To be corrected within 90 days. Three-compartment sink plumbed incorrectly; drop ceiling needed over bar. To be corrected within 180 days.
(14) Family Discount No. 2, 2601 Canyon Drive: Dented cans on shelf; shelves in beer coolers need to be resurfaced; gaskets on both walk-ins need to be replaced; blowers in coolers need to be dusted; no paper towels at hand sink; personal items need to be labeled and separated; ceiling tiles above hand sink, three-compartment sink and mop sink need to be smooth, durable, non-absorbent and easily cleanable; sanitizer needed; ice scoop needs to be cleaned. To be corrected within two hours.
(6) Fanelli’s Pasta & Lasagna Sauce, 2300 N. Western St.: Three-compartment sink needs to have indirect connection with air gap; no paper towels at hand sinks; ceiling tiles in restrooms need to be smooth, non-absorbent and easily cleanable. To be corrected within 180 days.
(9) Fat Boys BBQ, 104 N. 23rd St., Canyon: Rust build-up inside ice machine; several food products stored under paper towel dispenser beside hand sink. To be corrected within three days. Dust build-up in all air vents; meat smoking room has cracks above door, in walls and at bottom of wall that exposes inside of the smoke room to pests; bread buttering machine needs a vent hood. To be corrected within 90 days.
(13) Harold’s Farmers Market LLC, 1308 S. Grand St.: Improper thawing method used; mop sinks must be used for mop water only, no personal use. COS. No food manager and no food handlers; current permit needed; cutting boards need to be resurfaced or replaced; all wood shelves need to be sealed or painted; ceiling tiles in bathroom need to be non-absorbent, easily cleanable and smooth. To be corrected within 30 days. Three-compartment sink needs indirect connection. To be corrected within 90 days.
(3) Horace Mann Middle School, 810 N. Buchanan St.: Gaskets on walk-in cooler need to be repaired; missing tiles in restroom area need to be replaced (due to roof leak); ceiling tiles in restroom must be smooth, easily cleanable and non-absorbent
These establishments received demerits for being out of compliance as stated:
(roof and ceiling tiles must be repaired); restroom hand sink needs to be repaired. To e corrected within 180 days.
(10) Hummers Sports Cafe, 2600 Paramount Blvd.: Hand sink in bar being used as dump sink for ice. To be corrected within 10 days. Fly strips used in food prep area (another means of fly control is needed); back exterior door must be completely sealed (repeat violation); back wall and ceiling need to be cleaned (grease build-up must be removed); inside reach-in freezer needs to be cleaned; fans/vents need to be dusted. To be corrected within 60 days. Three-compartment sink must have indirect connection (repeat violation); split gaskets need to be replaced; rusty shelves need to be replaced or resurfaced; kitchen floor must be smooth and easily cleanable; ceiling tiles over bar and waiting station must be smooth, easily cleanable and non-absorbent; ceiling tiles need to be placed over walk-in coolers. To be corrected within 180 days.
(19) La Escondida Bar, 3904 E. Amarillo Blvd.: Sanitizer too weak. To be corrected within two hours. Three compartment sink needs to be repaired; need ice scoop with handle; cutting board needs to be resurfaced and cleaned; all raw wood needs to be sealed; floors need to be cleaned; unused equipment needs to be serviced or removed; holes in bathroom need to be repaired; light shield needed in restroom; cracked toilet needs to be repaired; covered trash can needed; bathroom sink doesn’t drain; no hot water in bathroom. To be corrected within 30 days. Food manager needed; food handler cards needed; self-closing door needed in bathroom. No hot water at hand or mop sinks; separation needed between three-compartment sink and hand sink; facet on three-compartment sink needs to be repaired; ice buckets in hand sink. To be corrected within 45 days. Three compartment sink must have indirect connection. To be corrected within 180 days.
(28) La Fiesta Grande, 2200 Ross-Osage Drive: Cell phones on food cases; splatters on bottom of shelves; no sanitizer prepared for storing wipe-down cloths; chemicals not stored properly; food manager must be registered with City; wrong date marks on foods; no thermometer in cold hold unit; dishwasher not sanitizing properly; wiping cloths not stored in sanitizer; dishes stacked wet; utensil tubs and dish rack not clean. COS. Food sink must have air gap; rust on racks in coolers and on shelves in kitchen and prep areas; gap at bottom of back door; walls, ceiling and floors not clean. To be corrected within 30 days. Plastic ceiling panels required in restrooms, bar and prep area; floor is pitted at dishwasher and walk-in cooler; walk-in freezer needs repairing to prevent over frosting; back door rusted and has gap; restroom door is rusted. To be corrected within 90 days.
(5) Marybel Restaurant, Permit HFM14, 1015 S. Arthur St.: No food manager and food handlers. To be corrected within 45 days.
(13) Marybel Restaurant, Permit HFM386, 1015 S. Arthur St.: No food manager and food handlers; grease-buildup due to lack of ventilation. To be corrected within 45 days. Wood surfaces need to be smooth or sealed; no three-compartment sink. To be corrected within 180 days.
(2) Region 16 Nelson St. Headstart, 1023 N. Nelson St.: Ware washing machine not dispensing sanitizer. COS.
(36) Serrano’s Mexican Food, 3701 W. Amarillo Blvd.: Food requiring refrigeration not refrigerated; no sanitizer for wipe-down; no hand washing at hand sink before preparing foods; medications not stored correctly; no hot water available; no thermometer available; hand sink blocked; open drinks in kitchen; no wipe-down solution; utensil tubs dirty; non-food contact surfaces not clean; truck walls, floor and ceiling not clean. COS. Person in charge not familiar with food safety rules; no certified food manager; no food handler cards; no advisory posted; food contact surfaces not clean or sanitized. To be corrected within 30 days. Due to having more than 30 demerits, this is a failed inspection.
(5) Sunshine’s Expressions, 23000 US Highway 60.: Three-compartment sink must have indirect drain or air gap; food manager card expired. To be corrected within 180 days.
(11) Taco Bell No. 032697, 611 23rd St., Canyon: No lid on tea machine; chips uncovered on prep sink; water spots on rice bag under dish drying rack; no sanitizer bucket. To be corrected within three days. Cut tomato not date marked; freeze machine cover falling off machine; gaskets on chip warmer covered with food debris (need to be cleaned and sanitized). To be corrected within 10 days. Employee cup in food area without lid and straw. To be corrected within 90 days.
(12) Tacos El Tule No. 2, 3623 N.E. 24th Ave.: Employees did not wash hands in hand sink; hand sink blocked; open drinks in kitchen. COS. No certified food manager card; no food handler cards; no consumer advisory for undercooked foods. To be corrected within 30 days.
(18) Tacos La Hacienda, 1021 S.W. Third Ave.: Onions in make table at improper temperature; no hot water, no fresh water. To be corrected within two hours. No food handler cards; no water for hand washing, only using hand sanitizer; no water for ware washing; servicing window screen is open. To be corrected within 45 days.
(38) Taqueria San Carlos, Permit HFRM744, 3510 N.E. 24th Ave.: Food not prepared on clean surface; no sanitizer available; no gloves used to handle cut fruit; no date marks on foods held more than 24 hours; no thermometer available to take food temperatures; no hot water at hand sink; window open when not in use; open drinks in kitchen; no sanitizer to store dirty rags or wipe counters; utensils stored in dirty holder; non-food contact surfaces not clean. COS. No permit posted. To be corrected within 10 days. Manager on duty not familiar with food rules; no certified food manager card; no food handler cards; no advisory posted for undercooked foods; peeling surfaces on food counters; counters peeling. To be corrected within 30 days. Due to having more than 30 demerits, this is a failed inspection.
(11) Taylor Food Mart No. 2005, 6000 E. I-40: Soda nozzles moldy; no soap or paper towels at hand sink; hand sink partially blocked; hotdogs cooking on roller without signage to customers advising hotdogs were still being cooked and not ready for consumption. COS. No food handler cards. To be corrected within 30 days. Health inspection report needs to be posted or signage available. To be corrected within 180 days.
(10) Toot’n Totum No. 94, 2151 S.E. 34th Ave.: Chili and cheese in hot holding at improper temperature; wiping cloths need to be stored in sanitizer when not in use. COS. Food handler cards needed. To be corrected within 30 days. Iodine test strips cannot be used to test Quaternary sanitizer; inside chili/cheese machine needs cleaning; floor is sticky from soda spill and needs cleaning; most recent health inspection report not available. To be corrected within 180 days.
(2) Tradewind Elementary, 4300 S. Williams St.: Ice machine needs to be cleaned. COS. Self closer needed on mop room door; ceiling tiles in mop room and bathroom must be non-absorbent, easily cleanable and smooth (repeat violation). To be corrected within 180 days.
(18) TX Chicken Bowl, 3011 E. Amarillo Blvd.: Vegetables on stir fry bar holding at improper temperatures; meat slicer dirty; dirty knife stored on magnetic strip; rice dry storage container needs to be replaced; cutting boards with stains and deep grooves need to be resurfaced or replaced; no thermometer in reach-in cooler. COS. Food manager card expired. To be corrected within 30 days. Back door needs seal around entire door; cooler gaskets and vent hood needs to be cleaned; vent hood needs to be inspected; three-compartment sink must have indirect connection with air gap; all restroom doors must be self-closing; trash can with lid needed in employee restroom; ceiling tiles in restrooms must be smooth, durable, non-absorbent and easily cleaned. To be corrected within 180 days.