The Food Establishment Inspection Report is a weekly report that appears Sundays. Information is taken from reports provided by the Bi-City-County Health District, and individual reports can be viewed at www.ci .amarillo.tx.us /departments/environ health/foodinspections.html.
The following report reflects only demerits the establishments received.
0 demerits — No major violations at the time of inspection.
15 demerits — Considered an average number.
30 demerits or above — Requires re-inspection within 24 hours.
COS — Corrected on site during inspection.
These establishments had 0 demerits during a follow-up inspection: Hollywood 16, 9100 Canyon Drive.
These establishments received demerits for being out of compliance as stated:
(18) Buckhorn Family Restaurant, 7000 E. Interstate 40: Cold hold unit not at proper temperature. COS. Holes or openings in ceiling panels; cutting board scored and needs to be resurfaced; sanitizer buckets on food counters; microwave, mixers, plate storage area on cook lines, can opener and carrier dirty; cans with rusted rims in dry storage; dented can on rack for use. To be corrected within three days. One cold hold unit with no thermometer; open employee drink in kitchen; air vents and ducts not clean. To be corrected within 10 days. All non-easily identifiable foods must have label; walk-in doors and gaskets need to be cleaned; dining room fans not clean; ceiling panels must be clean, tight fitting, with no gaps or holes in ceiling; food manager card, last inspection and permit from health department must be posted in public view; lights over food at salad bar must be shatterproof or covered. To be corrected within 90 days.
(6) Burger King, 7000 E. I-40: Bleach sanitizer too strong. COS. Prep sink must have indirect connection with air gap. To be corrected within 60 days.
(27) Calico County, 2410 Paramount Blvd.: Cold hold unit not at proper temperature; cooked diced potatoes in cold holding at improper temperature; broken eggs stored with good eggs; exposed foods on dry storage racks; raw eggs not held at proper temperature; splatters over hot hold; dented cans on can rack; spice mix stored not labeled; onions on floor; foods with expired date marks; pan scrub brush in hand sink; personal jacket and cell phone on food or equipment; open drink stored above foods; wet dirty rags throughout kitchen not in sanitizer; raw chicken thawing out of temperature control; single service items not inverted; dirty wet rags on food contact surfaces; can opener carrier dirty; cutting board scored and not easily cleanable; dirty knife on magnetic holder; slicers not cleaned of all food particles; dirty dishes on clean dish rack. COS. Cutting board at prep area damaged and not cleanable; sanitizer in dishwasher too strong; vent hood exterior, walls and floor below equipment not clean; tops of ovens and cook top not clean; back door not clean; remove all tape from above food prep. To be corrected within 10 days.
(18) Cattleman’s Cafe, 3801 E. Amarillo Blvd.: Eggs stored above ready-to-eat foods in reach-in cooler and walk-in cooler; wipe down bleach sanitizer too weak; all utensil containers need to be cleaned; all freezers need to be wiped out; reach-in cooler gaskets torn and need to be repaired or replaced; reach-in cooler in front dining area not holding at proper temperature (repeat violation); employee items stored with kitchen items. COS. All employees handling food must have food handlers card. To be corrected within 45 days. Plumbing at three-compartment sink is directly plumbed to sewer line. To be corrected within 365 days.
(24) Diana’s Tamales Burritos &More, 701 W. Amarillo Blvd.: Large mixer dirty; all reach-in coolers/freezers need to be cleaned; rusty nail in ice machine must be removed and ice machine must be cleaned and sanitized; raw meat stored over ready-to-eat foods in reach-in cooler; ready-to-eat foods not date marked; chemical bottle without label; chemicals stored with ready-to-eat foods; several different pieces of equipment not working (all equipment must either be used for its intended purpose or removed); all coolers/freezer must be NSF certified commercial or equivalent; shelving on rolling cart made of raw wood and must be sealed or replaced; raw shelving in dry storage must be painted or sealed; Formica above three- compartment sink falling apart and must be replaced; food grade containers needed; floor drain holding water; three- compartment sink must have an indirect waste connection; all unused equipment in attic area must be stored at least six inches off floor (area must be cleaned to prevent rodent harborage); all ready-to-eat food products must be stored covered; clean grease accumulation on ceiling and surrounding areas; all broken gaskets on coolers must be replaced; chest freezer lid must be replaced; water damaged ceiling in pantry and front storage area must be repaired to be smooth, durable and easily cleanable; vent hood inadequate to properly remove all grease from establishment (vent hood has been red tagged by a professional certifying company and all deficiencies must be repaired prior to being re-opened for business): small personal propane cooker in kitchen is not allowed and must be removed; all hand washing sinks must be proper signage; all unused equipment and items to be thrown away must be removed from property grounds to prevent rodent harborage. To be corrected within 10 days.
(21) El Tejavan, 3801 E. I-40: Dirty dishes stored with clean dishes; date markings needed on prepared foods; steak and shrimp thawing improperly; toxic chemicals held with single service items; steak, Ceveche and diced onions in cold holding at improper temperatures; cracked eggs in container with fresh eggs; ROP fish thawing in package in stagnant water (must be thawed out of package in an approved thawing method). COS. Chip bins must be food grade; broken dishes must be discarded. To be corrected within 30 days. Three-compartment sink must have indirect connection. To be corrected within 180 days.
(16) Hooter’s, 8101 W. I-40: Utensil tubs not clean; rusted rack in cooler; food pans not cleaned of all foods before sanitizing and storing; pans stacked wet; food additives not labeled; chemical bottle not labeled; one inaccurate thermometer in walk-in cooler; personal items not stored properly. COS. Air ducts throughout kitchen are dirty (must be professionally cleaned). To be corrected within 30 days.
(6) Mary Miles Learning Center, 1700 S. Van Buren St.: Eggs stored over milk; shelves in pantry need to be cleaned; pans stored on dirty shelves; inside and outside microwave, can opener and holster need to be cleaned. COS.
(5) Mid America Service/Potter County Detention, 13100 N.E. 29th Ave.: Sanitizer in dish machine too weak. COS. All baking sheets with build-up must be cleaned or replaced; restroom door must be self-closing. To be corrected within 90 days.
(3) Pizza Hut, 7000 E. I-40: Food manager card needed. To be corrected within 10 days. Vents in back room need to be cleaned. To be corrected within 90 days.
(6) Southlawn Elementary School, 4719 Bowie St.: Plumbing at three- compartment sink is directly plumbed to sewer line; door gasket on reach-in cooler cracked and needs to be replaced; dust build-up on vent in kitchen. To be corrected within 90 days.
(6) Travel Centers of America, 7000 E. I-40: All prepackaged items, single service must have date label; several items out of date; soda nozzles need to be cleaned every night. COS. Blower covers, walls and ceilings in walk-in cooler need to be cleaned; top of all equipment in food area needs to be cleaned, including lights. To be corrected within 90 days.
(9) Waffle House No. 1169, 6310 Hollywood Road: Spill in walk-in cooler. COS. Door gasket in walk-in cooler coming apart from door, needs to be repaired; wire racks in store room covered with dust. To be corrected within 10 days. Plumbing at three-compartment sink is directly plumbed to sewer line. To be corrected within 30 days. Vent in storage room covered with dust; power cord to waffle maker is cut and needs to be replaced; grease bucket behind store is overflowing and needs to be emptied. To be corrected within 90 days.