Couldn’t keep up with the news over the weekend? That’s perfectly understandable. To make sure you start your workweek off in the know, here is a roundup of the headlines you might’ve missed.
- Has Amarillo’s airport reversed years of plummeting passenger counts? The recent numbers at Rick Husband Amarillo International Airport give reason for hope after a yearslong nosedive.
- Getting a Texas Tech Veterinary school in Amarillo will require political wrangling: The money given by the state in its most recent budget is just a first step in what will be — and already has been — a product of the Austin political machine.
- Amarillo’s racing gem finally gets to shine: The debut of the Amarillo Kart Circuit was also a big reveal for a race track that had been hidden, causing even some of the biggest go-kart racing officials in the state to search for it on Google Maps.
- Drop in international applicants at WT matches state trend: Fewer foreign students are applying to study at West Texas A&M, which mirrors the statewide numbers. Some say President Donald Trump’s immigration policies are to blame, but a WT official said other factors are at play.
- Miami ISD’s superintendent fights to keep her school: While other districts around Miami have consolidated, Superintendent Donna Hale sees the value of keeping a school in her community.
- A new wellness bar, plus a popular sub chain, are coming to Amarillo: In Other People’s Business, we take a look at Chill Wellness Center and a popular sandwich shop that are putting down roots in Amarillo.