New Mexico police, federal consumer group still investigating Lubbock teen’s bathtub electrocution

LUBBOCK — A medical examiner in New Mexico on Wednesday confirmed electrocution as the cause of death of a 14-year-old Lubbock girl whose family blames an accident involving a cellphone while she bathed.


The Lovington Police Department confirmed Wednesday evening that the Office of the Medical Investigator in Albuquerque, N.M., issued a preliminary finding in the death of Madison Coe, ruling that the teen’s cause of death was electrocution.

Lovington police also confirmed they, along with assistance from the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission, are still looking into the case.

“The incident remains under investigation as to how this occurred,” the statement reads. “As previously stated, a cellular telephone, a phone charger cord and an extension cord were found at the scene.”

Shortly before 12:30 a.m. Sunday, Lovington police and emergency medical personnel were called to the report of an unresponsive female at a house in the 800 block of West Avenue H, the A-J reported earlier this week.

Coe was pronounced dead a short time later at Nor-Lea Hospital.

A Gofundme account listed as the “Madison Coe Memorial Fund” states a memorial will be held at 2 p.m. Friday in Lovington at First United Methodist Church.

Coe’s death prompted her family and friends to take to social media in an effort to help save others from what they said was a preventable accident.

“Sweet Madison, 14 years old, died in a heartbreaking accident while using her phone in the bath. Please please let her voice be heard and protect and educate your children on the fatal dangers of electrocution,” her family wrote in a social media post.



Tue, 02/20/2018 - 09:58

APD warns of opioid-laced street drugs